Consigning to Auction
Over our 30 years of business we have endeavored to make the process of consignment as straightforward and easy as possible. We give free in-home consultations and charge no extra fees for storage, pickup, photography, insurance, cataloging, etc. Our only fee is a flat commission rate, which is based on the value and size of the consignment.
What sets us apart from other auction houses is a level of serviceability that is hard to find elsewhere. Each auction is advertised in all the major trade publications and averages 100,000 page views with 2,000 registered bidders. As a consignor with Butterscotch you receive:
- An itemized description of each consigned article with an assigned lot number and auction estimate -- each item is thoroughly researched in order to establish the item's present fair market value.
- Inclusion in our fully illustrated online catalog, which generates an average of 100,000 page views per auction.
- The issuance of a Certificate of Insurance in the amount of the high appraised value for all items consigned, at no additional charge to the consignor.
- A written contract between the gallery and the consignor(s)/executor(s) determining the commission rate, date of auction, and consignment terms.
- Advertising in international trade publications, including The Antiques Trade Gazette, Antiques and the Arts Weekly, The Maine Antique Digest, as well as local and online ads with our internet partners AskArt and Liveauctioneers.
- Inclusion in our illustrated auction brochure which is mailed to an extensive mailing list of over 2,000 clients who have attended and purchased items from our gallery in the past.
- Pickup by our own professional moving service, experienced in handling, packaging, and removal of valuable and fragile objects. Items can be picked up at any time.
- A flat commission rate of 20%, 15%, or 10%, depending on the consignment---no extra charges.
- A reserve price set on items appraised at $500 or more (generally set at 60% of the low estimate). This is a price below which an item will not be sold.
- In the event that an item does not sell, it can either be returned or re-offered at the next auction for no extra charge.
- Settlement on consignments made within 30 days after the auction date.
For more than 39 years, Paul Marinucci (owner of Butterscotch Auction Gallery LLC) has been actively engaged in making appraisals of art, antiques, and personal property for the express function of determining Federal, State, and/or probate tax liability. All appraisals made for estate tax purposes are written within accordance to the present Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
The rates for estate appraisals are as follows: $300 for the first hour and $100 for each hour following. This rate only applies to time spent on the premises---there is no charge for research and work done on the appraiser's own time.
Estate appraisals are made independently from our auction service and without the intention of bringing the items to auction. However, should an estate wish to consign items to Butterscotch after having contracted us for an estate appraisal, we will waive the charge for the estate appraisal entirely.