Consigning to Auction
Over our 30 years of business we have endeavored to make the process of consignment as straightforward and easy as possible. We give free in-home consultations and charge no extra fees for storage, pickup, photography, insurance, cataloging, etc. Our only fee is a flat commission rate, which is based on the value and size of the consignment, and ranges between 25% and 5% for important items.
What sets us apart from other auction houses is a level of serviceability that is hard to find elsewhere. We accept a wide range of merchandise and work closely with our consignors to make sure they are comfortable with the process. Each auction is advertised extensively--online through social media and with our auction partners Invaluable, Liveauctioneers, Artnet, and Askart, and in print with international trade publications like Antiques and the Arts Weekly, The Antiques Trade Gazette, and The Maine Antique Digest. We have our own in-house online bidding platform and app, and our online catalogs average 300,000+ page views and 5,000+ registered bidders per sale. We also produce a printed brochure (sample) of highlights for each auction that is sent to our mailing list (which we have been expanding for 30 years). As a consignor with Butterscotch you receive:
- An itemized description of each consigned article with an assigned lot number and auction estimate -- each item is thoroughly researched in order to establish the item's present fair market value.
- Inclusion in our fully illustrated online catalog, which generates an average of 300,000+ page views per auction.
- The issuance of a Certificate of Insurance in the amount of the high appraised value for all items consigned, at no additional charge to the consignor.
- A written contract between the gallery and the consignor(s)/executor(s) determining the commission rate, date of auction, and consignment terms.
- Extensive advertising at no cost to the consignor--online through social media and with our auction partners Invaluable, Liveauctioneers, Artnet, and Askart, and in print with international trade publications like Antiques and the Arts Weekly, The Antiques Trade Gazette, and The Maine Antique Digest.
- Inclusion in our illustrated auction brochure which is mailed to an extensive mailing list we have maintained for over 30 years.
- Free pickup by our own professional moving service, experienced in handling, packaging, and removal of valuable and fragile objects. Items can be picked up at any time.
- A flat commission rate from 25% to as low as 5%---no extra charges.
- A reserve price set on items appraised at $500 or more (generally set at 60% of the low estimate). This is a price below which an item will not be sold.
- In the event that an item does not sell, it can either be returned or re-offered at the next auction for no extra charge.
- Settlement on consignments made within 35 days after the auction date.
For more than 40 years, Paul Marinucci (owner of Butterscotch Auction Gallery LLC) has been actively engaged in making appraisals of art, antiques, and personal property for the express function of determining Federal, State, and/or probate tax liability. All appraisals made for estate tax purposes are written within accordance to the present Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP).
Our rates for appraisals are competitive. Estate appraisals are made independently from our auction service and without the intention of bringing the items to auction. However, should an estate wish to also consign items to Butterscotch we offer a pro rata reimbursement for the cost of the appraisal.